Once they get behind the wheel, they think they can control their car at any speed and tend to push the limits. The problem is that inexperience and immaturity contribute to their reckless behavior and unfortunately, the results can be disastrous.
Naturally, the question arises as to how can I ensure that my teen drives safely. Recently, in New York State, we have begun to see an increase in sales for GPS monitoring systems. Constant and direct supervision or monitoring with a GPS tracking system for at least the first year of driving can significantly reduce teen driver auto accidents and give parents some much needed peace of mind. In the past year, a number of companies have come out with tracking systems that can help parents monitor their new teen drivers. While we believe that education is the most important component of safe teen driving, there are also some situations where parents might want to have some monitoring capability. Here are some guidelines if you are considering a teen monitoring system:
1. Make sure you understand how the system works and that it will work with your model and year of car.
2. Check the total fees. They might include an installation fee as well as a monthly fee.
3. Find out if there is a minimum time limit for a contract.
4. Find out what data will be monitored and transmitted to you: speed, location, etc
5. How does the system notify you of your teen’s location.
While GPS is a technology with a proven track record, the ultimate impact it can have on teen driving safety is still being explored. But one thing is clear–with millions of Americans nationwide focused on helping teenagers drive more safely, GPS tracking services will play a significant role. To find out more ways you can help your teen driver’s saftey, contact your insurance agent.